Diagnostic BioMEMS Learing Module
This learning module, provided by Support Center for Microsystems Education, introduces participants to diagnostic BioMEMS, or biological microelectromechanical systems. The module presents information about the areas in diagnostic medicine that are impacted by the introduction of BioMEMS. The following documents are included: three instructor guides, three participant guides, and a PowerPoint presentation. PDF and DOC versions are provided for all of the guides. The included guides are Primary Knowledge (PK), Research Activity, and Final Assessment. Instructor guides include additional content such as instructor notes as well as questions and answers.
"[The] Primary Knowledge (PK) unit provides introductory material that is needed to better understand the development of medical diagnostic devices in the area of bioMEMS." This unit includes the following objectives:
- Discuss examples of at least two diagnostic bioMEMS medical devices currently in use.
- Describe three main areas in medical diagnostics that have been impacted by bioMEMS technology.
The included research activity on bioMEMS diagnostic devices has the following objectives:
- Describe at least one example of a bioMEMS diagnostic device and its use/purpose.
- Using your knowledge of diagnostic bioMEMS, describe a possible future application of a bioMEMS diagnostic device.
The final assessment is used to determine participants' understanding "of the importance of diagnostics in BioMEMS applications." Ten questions are included.
The PowerPoint presentation includes a unit overview, objectives, introduction, review questions, and summary. The following topics are covered: lab-on-a-chip, BioMEMS diagnostics, diagnosing Dengue Fever, BioMEMS Diagnostics for Dengue Fever, Advantages of Diagnostics BioMEMS, Disadvantages of Diagnostic BioMEMS, clinical chemistry, polymerase chain reaction (PCR), and more.
For orientation purposes the 'App_BioMEM_PK20_IG' PDF is included as a separate attachment and offers a sample of the type of material included in this module.
Below is a list of the files included in the .zip attachment. The size of each file is included in parenthesis.
Diagnostic BioMEMS (22 files, 9.9 MB)
- Instructor Guides
- Diagnostics BioMEMS Research Activity Instructor Guide (App_BioMEM_AC20_IG.pdf 131 KB)
- Diagnostics BioMEMS Final Assessment Instructor Guide (App_BioMEM_FA20_IG.pdf 129 KB)
- Diagnostics BioMEMS Overview Primary Knowledge Instructor Guide (App_BioMEM_PK20_IG.pdf 1.6 MB)
- Word DOCs
- Diagnostics BioMEMS Research Activity Instructor Guide (App_BioMEM_AC20_IG_August2017.docx 44 KB)
- Diagnostics BioMEMS Final Assessment Instructor Guide (App_BioMEM_FA20_IG_August2017.docx 43 KB)
- Diagnostics BioMEMS Overview Primary Knowledge Instructor Guide (App_BioMEM_PK20_IG_August2017.docx 1.2 MB)
- Participant Guides
- Diagnostics BioMEMS Research Activity Participant Guide (App_BioMEM_AC20_PG.pdf 118 KB)
- Diagnostics BioMEMS Final Assessment Participant Guide (App_BioMEM_FA20_PG.pdf 106 KB)
- Diagnostics BioMEMS Overview Learning Module and Primary Knowledge Participant Guide (App_BioMEM_PK20_PG.pdf 1.6 MB)
- Word DOCs
- Diagnostics BioMEMS Research Activity Participant Guide (App_BioMEM_AC20_PG_August2017.docx 42 KB)
- Diagnostics BioMEMS Final Assessment Participant Guide (App_BioMEM_FA20_PG_August2017.docx 41 KB)
- Diagnostics BioMEMS Overview Learning Module and Primary Knowledge Participant Guide (App_BioMEM_PK20_PG_August2017.docx 1.2 MB)
- Diagnostics BioMEMS (Diagnostic BioMEMS Presentation.pdf 2.4 MB)
- Diagnostics BioMEM (Diagnostic BioMEMS Presentation.pptx 1 MB)