Switching Power Supplies
This learning module is provided by Work-Ready Electronics and covers switching power supplies. Work-Ready Electronics modules are intended to be used either independently or integrated with current electronics curricula in college programs. This module is divided into three sections: Content, Knowledge Probes, and Learning Activities.
The Content section includes four PDF documents that cover the following topics: switching power supplies; advantages, disadvantages, and troubleshooting; DC-DC converters: charge pumps, forward converters, and flyback converters; and inverters, UPS, and the hysteresis curve.
Four Knowledge Probes are included in this learning module. The Knowledge Probes include learning objectives and a short quiz. Each Knowledge Probe corresponds to a topic covered in the Content section.
The Learning Activities section includes a Disassembly and Analysis of Switching Power Supplies drill-down report, an Internet Research on Switching Power Supplies drill-down report, a DC-DC Converters lab activity, and a Switching Power Supplies interactive simulation. Two files related to the interactive simulation are also included.
The learning module also includes a 1-page book reference document.
For orientation purposes the SMPS Basics and Switching Regulators.pdf is included as a separate attachment and offers a sample of the type of material included in this collection.
Below is a list of the files contained within the .zip attachment. The size of each file is included in parenthesis.
Switching Power Supplies (20 files, 16.5 MB)
- SMPS: Advantages, Disadvantages, and Troubleshooting (Advantages, Disadvantages and Troubleshooting.pdf 844 KB)
- DC-DC Converters: Charge Pumps, Forward Converters, and Flyback Converters (DC DC Converters.pdf 4.2 MB)
- Inverters, UPS, and the Hysteresis Curve (Inverters, UPS, and the Hysteresis Curve.pdf 2 MB)
- Switching Power Supplies (SMPS Basics and Switching Regulators.pdf 6.9 MB)
- Knowledge Probes
- Basics and Switching Regulators (kp1q.pdf 137 KB)
- DC Converters: Charge Pumps, Forward Converters, and Flyback Converters (kp2q.pdf 137 KB)
- Inverters, UPS, and the Hysteresis Curve (kp3q.pdf 129 KB)
- Advantages, Disadvantages, and Troubleshooting (kp4q.pdf 105 KB)
- Learning Activities
- Disassembly and Analysis of Switching Power Supplies (drilldown01.pdf 195 KB)
- Internet Research on Switching Power Supplies (drilldown02.pdf 188 KB)
- EW_lab01 (1)
- (555charg.ms8 112 KB)
- (555Vmult.ms8 192 KB)
- Switching Power Supplies (EW_lab01.pdf 942 KB
- DC-DC Converters (lab_01.pdf 355 KB)
- Book References (references.pdf 49 KB)