Portable Power Technology
This learning module is provided by Work-Ready Electronics and covers portable power technology and the most commonly used battery types. Definitions and uses of batteries such as: alkaline, lead-acid, nickel-cadmium (NiCd), nickel metal hydride (NiMH), lithium manganese dioxide (LiMnO2) and lithium ion (Li+), are provided. Work-Ready Electronics modules are intended to be used either independently or integrated with current electronics curricula in college programs. This module is divided into four sections: Content, Knowledge Probes, Learning Activities, and Research.
The Course Materials section includes four PDF documents. Documents provide an overview of battery basics and cover the following topics: battery charging; battery service, maintenance, and replacement; and common battery types.
Four Knowledge Probes are included in this learning module. Knowledge Probes include learning objectives and a short quiz. Each Knowledge Probe corresponds to a topic covered in the Content section.
The Learning Activities section includes a Batteries drill down report, a Battery Technology in Action lab activity, and a performance assessment. The drill down report assignment includes learning objectives, tasks and procedures, deliverables, and more. The lab activity includes a lab summary, learning objectives, special safety requirements, lab preparation, equipment and materials needed, lab procedures, and more. The performance assessment includes 42 multiple choice and short answer questions.
The Research section includes print and web references, a list of electronics that use batteries, and a battery comparison chart.
For orientation purposes the 'Review of Battery Basics' PDF is included as a separate attachment and offers a sample of the type of material included in this collection.
Below is a list of the files contained within the .zip attachment. The size of each file is included in parenthesis.
Portable Power Technology (20 files, 8.7 MB)
- Battery Charging (Battery Charging.pdf 2.4 MB)
- Battery Service, Maintenance, and Replacement (Battery Service Maintenance and Replacement.pdf 865 KB)
- Common Battery Types (Common Battery Types.pdf 1.7 MB)
- Review of Battery Basics (Review of Battery Basics.pdf 3.1 MB)
- Knowledge Probe
- Review of Battery Basics (kp1q.pdf 37 KB)
- Common Battery Types (kp2q.pdf 36 KB)
- Battery Charging (kp3q.pdf 36 KB)
- Battery Service, Maintenance, and Replacement (kp4q.pdf 36 KB)
- Learning Activities
- Batteries (drilldown_01.pdf 77 KB)
- Battery Technology in Action (lab_01.pdf 323 KB)
- Performance Assessment (performance_assessment.pdf 68 KB)
- What Batteries are Used (batteries_used.pdf 14 KB)
- Battery Comparison Chart (battery_comparison.pdf 26 KB)
- Print References (print_references.pdf 9 KB)
- Web References (web_references.pdf 13 KB)